[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Nov 22 00:33:09 CST 2007

>From: wa2egp at att.net
>Date: 2007/11/21 Wed PM 10:21:48 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] OLPCs for sale...

<snip>

>> I don't work right now, so I can't relate to the question ;^)
>
>Bummer.

Note the smiley - I stay home with the kids, and I actually enjoy it (for
now)...

>> Seriously though, the "unpaid activities" are things the teachers didn't
get
>> paid for doing last year, the year before, etc, and they won't get paid for
>> them after the new contract is settled - to make them a false issue is just
>> abusive to the families and children, IMHO.
>
>That's why you don't do something for nothing because you will never get paid
>for it in the future.  Unfortunately, teachers tend to confuse volunteerism
>with professionalism.

Teachers that refuse to do unpaid activities they used to do (field trips,
prom, etc.) because of the status of the contract are only hurting the
students. Teachers that refuse to do paid activities (bus duty, etc.)
ultimately only hurt themselves (the teachers don't get the money, and the
school district will find some "bodies" to do the work)

Lionel