[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Wed Nov 21 22:21:48 CST 2007

> >I bet you want to work an extra hour a day for nothing. :)  Seriously,
> >I don't know what "unpaid activities" are but no matter what job you have,
> >if you do something for nothing, you'll never get paid for it in the
> >furture and more likely, you'll be expected to do more for nothing.  Those
> >contract negotiations can be real nasty.  Too bad nobody really wins.
>
> I don't work right now, so I can't relate to the question ;^)

Bummer.

> Seriously though, the "unpaid activities" are things the teachers didn't get
> paid for doing last year, the year before, etc, and they won't get paid for
> them after the new contract is settled - to make them a false issue is just
> abusive to the families and children, IMHO.

That's why you don't do something for nothing because you will never get paid
for it in the future.  Unfortunately, teachers tend to confuse volunteerism
with professionalism.

> IF the teachers felt they should get paid for them, that's a different
> argument, but that is not what they are saying. The music teacher is talking
> about not having the winter concert because it the union doesn't have a
> contract? Seriously, what is the connection? Cancelled field trips? They are
> pissing off the wrong people.

Just fodder for "that" NJ radio station.

> I *seriously* hope our school district decides to just hand over 100% of the
> money they put aside for health benefits last year (with a 4% increase to
> account for COL increase) and let the union/teachers figure out how to fund a
> bill that is 110% of last years amount with only 104% of the money to pay it
> (state maximum increase per year...

Health benefits are usually the biggest problem.  A few years ago, the strike
in Middletown was over 20K (total) in health benefits.  Unfortunately, that town
still has problems getting teachers from the outcome.

> This is the plan GM worked out with their unions [0], I think it could work on
> the smaller scale as well... It would be fun to try anyway.

Who knows.  I didn't look at the link but I think health costs are outrageous but
that seems to be a systematic problem.  Having dealt with the system last year, I'm
glad I have the health benefits I have.  Then again, new GM workers may get more
than a starting teacher. :)

Bob