[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Nov 20 16:41:01 CST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 1:29 AM, wa2egp at att.net wrote:

> What's the old saying, figures lie and liars figure.

"How to lie with statistics"... a warning for some, a bible for others.

> I think I can be
> fairly accurate to say that I started with less pay than most with the
> same education and probably still paid less after 27 years.  I think
> it
> is also accurate to say that I collected less total money over these
> years
> than most with equivalent education (due to the way my pay scale
> worked during that time).  But that's just my case.

Yes, but remember you are a government worker, or at least I assume
you are.

Are you paid less than most other government workers?

In my experience, teacher make more by a long shot than most other
government workers, even programmers.

I'm a computer programmer.  If I went to work for the government, most
teachers would get paid more than I would, because the local and state
government don't pay programmer's very well.  I have no idea why, but
that's how it is here.

I applied for a job with the state, and they offered me $35K/year.  At
the time I was making $90K/year in the private sector so I said no,
rather emphatically.  The local city offered me $28K/year.  The jobs
were essentially the same, just to show you the huge difference in pay
that can exist for the same work.

In the private sector, teacher salaries seem to vary a lot more than
other jobs.  I hear of private schools paying almost nothing, while in
the same town another similar school will pay nearly twice as much.

I don't know what to make of that, except that maybe teaching isn't as
competitive a job market, so there is less pressure for employers to
keep up with salary trends.

Or something like that.  I really have no idea, just taking a wild
guess.

Some teachers leave for the private schools because they claim a lot
better pay and benefits, while others said their experience was
negative.