[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Tue Nov 20 00:16:11 CST 2007

> What we need is some large institution where we could send our young children,
> teach them all the important things they need to know about math, reading,
> language, their history, and other important topics. I wonder if we'll ever
> see such a thing created...

Probably not.  Damn politics will always get involved.

> either adjusted by the actual distribution of pay OR an evaluation of the
> current pay ranges, either way I *have to* assume the NEA numbers were
> calculated in a consistent manner across the 51 states and D.C. If they were
> not able to do that, then, unbelievably my opinion of the NEA would sink even
> lower...

I just wonder if is taken in such a way that comparisons can be made with
pay scales in other fields.  Probably not.

> >The comment about those teachers being the highest paid in the nation
> >I don't think was accurate.
>
> Bob, I think it was accurate in context of the NEA survey, but the NEA survey
> may not be an accurate reflection of actual teachers take-home pay. I haven't
> looked back at my original posting, but it is probably fair to say I was a bit
> fast and loose on that point, and if I was, that was a mistake on my part.

I would think that they might have the highest in the state. The nation?
Don't think so considering there may be areas that might have a higher cost
of living.

> OT: My wife recently applied for a "paraprofessional" position at the local
> school board, and when she asked about "the union" she was told they don't
> call it a "union" because of the negative connotation! Of course, she was told
> that if she choose not to participate in the "association" she would still
> have to pay the bulk of the "association dues" to compensate the "association"
> for all their hard work on her behalf...

They also like the association label because they don't have to do as much for
you as they would if they were a union.  I was a "building rep" for a number of
years and with what I have seen, well, I really don't trust them anymore.

Bob