[geeks] Leopard 10.5.1: recent problems fixed

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Nov 19 14:52:25 CST 2007

Yesterday I said I had issues with Leopard file selection dialogs
hanging.

The problem was file permissions.

Not sure how it happened, but Applications was in my private group and
quite a few language files had ACLs on them which should not be there.

Fixed permissions, and it all works fine.

I think the problem was due to how my machine was set up.

I bought a Mac Pro and installed Tiger on it.  When Leopard came out,
I upgraded.  Leopard handles users differently from Tiger in that it
puts users in the staff group instead of a private group, and changes
a few things about how Applications are installed, etc.  I think when
I upgraded, I didn't run the permissions fix.

Then my Mac Pro died and I restored my new one from Time Machine,
which worked perfectly, except it probably copied files based on the
original Tiger permissions still present in the backups.

In other words: when Apple says to repair permissions after an
upgrade, they have a good reason for saying so... :)

So this one is definitely my bad.