[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 19 07:24:29 CST 2007

>From: wa2egp at att.net
>Date: 2007/11/19 Mon AM 01:38:40 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] OLPCs for sale...

<snip>

>> It is an argument presented constantly, and citing their own arguments
>> when they self conflict is not now nor has it ever been ridiculous.
>
>It is when the "other side" never learns that their argument is bogus.
>It just becomes peopel throwing crap at each other, like an election.

What we need is some large institution where we could send our young children,
teach them all the important things they need to know about math, reading,
language, their history, and other important topics. I wonder if we'll ever
see such a thing created...

>> If you don't make that argument, fine... then it shouldn't bother you
>> to see it countered.
>
>The problem is that these people are seen as representing me and they
>have figures that don't represent my situation.

The comments are reflective of current situations, and I assume that they are
either adjusted by the actual distribution of pay OR an evaluation of the
current pay ranges, either way I *have to* assume the NEA numbers were
calculated in a consistent manner across the 51 states and D.C. If they were
not able to do that, then, unbelievably my opinion of the NEA would sink even
lower...

>The comment about those teachers being the highest paid in the nation
>I don't think was accurate.

Bob, I think it was accurate in context of the NEA survey, but the NEA survey
may not be an accurate reflection of actual teachers take-home pay. I haven't
looked back at my original posting, but it is probably fair to say I was a bit
fast and loose on that point, and if I was, that was a mistake on my part.

OT: My wife recently applied for a "paraprofessional" position at the local
school board, and when she asked about "the union" she was told they don't
call it a "union" because of the negative connotation! Of course, she was told
that if she choose not to participate in the "association" she would still
have to pay the bulk of the "association dues" to compensate the "association"
for all their hard work on her behalf...

Lionel