[geeks] Leopard 10.5.1 Update now available

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Nov 18 18:13:35 CST 2007

On Nov 18, 2007, at 4:55 AM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 10:19:23AM +0100, from at fu3.org wrote:
>> Yes, painless as expected. :)
>
> No problems with 10.5.1 on the Mini (PPC G4 1.25Ghz) at work or the
> iMac
> (20" Core Duo) here at home.  Haven't reinstalled the Macbook yet to
> put
> 10.5 on it because I've been busy and I only use it when I travel.

I spoke too soon.

Now I've had three different applications hang in one of their dialogs.

I forget the first, but one that does it all the time is SnapScan from
Fujitsu.

If you go into settings and try to add an application or change where
new scans are saved, the file selection dialog sheet comes down, and
then hangs.  The default button glows and you can move the dialog
window around, but it will never respond to keyboard or mouse and the
app must be force-quit.

I saw the same think with iBank's Kagi screen.

The other application I cannot remember also hangs in the file
selection dialog.

There is no heavy disk activity or anything like that when this happens.

I have noticed that a couple of applications needed updating for
Leopard in terms of basic/fundamental GUI widgets.

For example, in iBank you could not drag column headers in a scrolling
table widget to re-arrange them until they released an update.

That kinda sucks, having basic widgets stop working, although it seems
to have been very few apps affected.

I can't really see why they would change low level widgets like that,
unless it was part of the overall code cleanup in moving to 64-bit and
the new Core* features.

Of course, I used Vista and had more problems in one hour than I've
had with Leopard in the last two weeks, so as updates go this has been
smoother than any Windows or Linux/KDE/Gnome upgrade I've ever done.

But since it is Apple stuff, I get to bitch about it anyway... :)