[geeks] Problems with grep on leopard

Sevan / Venture37 venture37 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 17 17:58:16 CST 2007

> try using xargs with grep?

ok, will give it a shot

> I've had ls crap out on AIX with a sufficiently large number of files
> in a directory, usually get around it with a find+exec or xargs.

Never had this problem before, the folder it chokes on is
~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
which is 29.1MB with 1545 items inside, not exactly large it, what weird is I
can fire off grep at my applications folder which is 10GB big with 45,970
items inside & grep is happily working away utilising 16% CPU, 18.50MB RAM &
603.73MB of VM, if I point it at the Adobe folder it utilises 100%+, 512MB
RAM, 2GB VM then dies?!!?