[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Fri Nov 16 18:31:57 CST 2007

From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>

> On Nov 16, 2007, at 1:31 AM, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
>
> >> I guess they couldn't think of a better way to spend $3M in
> >> Alabama... Being
> >> ranked 48th[0] (out of 51 - D.C. brings up the rear, despite having
> >> the highest
> >> average pay per teacher[1]) is pretty bad, maybe 15,000 laptops can
> >> help them
> >> turn the tide!
> >
> > Here we go again with the average thing.
>
> Tteacher's unions frequently cite this as the number one cause of bad
> teaching all over the country.

I don't think they really represent teachers these days.  The NEA/NJEA
has been going in strange directions these days.

> So... citing averages is a valid counter to that kind of argument.

Bull.  This has been hashed over before and it's gotten to the point
of being ridculous.  Homey don't play dat.

> > Laptops are NOT going to solve the problem.  It just makes it look
> > like
> > the problem will be solved.
>
> Naturally.
>
> It's far easier to spend money that to actually do something with it.

That's the truth!  Remember the rules of bueaucracy.  1. If it works,
fix it.  2. If it doesn't work, throw money at it.  3. If it still
doesn't work, blame someone else.

Bob