[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 02:15:11 CST 2007

On 16 Nov 2007, at 06:40, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 06:31:05AM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
>> Laptops are NOT going to solve the problem.  It just makes it look
>> like
>> the problem will be solved.
>
> Does anyone here remember what happened at Drexel University when they
> REQUIRED their incoming class to buy a Macintosh?
>
> The idea was that everyone would hand in wordprocessing documents
> on floppy disks instead of papers. You can imagine what happened.
> At that time most of the incoming students had never seen a home
> computer, or if they did, used it for games.

Ahh the floppy disk, that lovable and reliable storage media we all
trusted implicitly... *cough* *cough* *cough* *collapses on floor*

OLPC is a Placebo from big corporate business to make it look like
they are 'here to help'. It won't solve anything, better teaching and
better parenting solves problems with children, not giving them a
laptop. It might *help* in some cases (I, for instance, am dyslexic
and used a computer at school a lot to help with essay writing, even
in exams), but it' is not the global solution. For instance, who here
would know where to find something on the internet if they had never
used it before and knew nothing about it? You'd ask someone, right?
Right. You need a teacher as well as a tool. A person needs a certain
grounding and understanding of anything before they can use it or
learn from it.I mean, what use is a book to someone who cannot read?

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>