[geeks] OLPCs for sale...

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Wed Nov 14 03:14:53 CST 2007

Quoth Lionel Peterson ...

> BTW, I got my Asus EEE yesterday, it's pretty good.

[snip]

> It appears to be pretty robust, and the form-factor is great
> - it is just as big as a typical O'Reilly book, and can be
> carried along with a couple books without needing a laptop
> bag.

Heh.  "It's all been done before, Watson."  In 1993, I reviewed an Olivetti
Quaderno subnotebook for some magazine.  Folded out flat, it was 8.5 x 11
inches, so in its normal "carrying" configuration is was book-sized.  The
keyboard was 8/10ths scale, more or less.  It weighed 2.2 lbs. and ran on 4
AA batteries.

Of course, it wasn't as capable a machine as the Asus.  It had some NEC
processor which was basically a 80285, a 10 Meg HD, and all the connectivity
(like a 14.4 modem) was external.  The worst bit was the non-backlit,
greyscale CGA screen.  MS-DOS, of course.

Still, I rather liked it, and everytime I opened it up on an airplane, the
guy next to me would try to buy it.

-Shel