[geeks] Dead Mac Pro

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 17:48:11 CST 2007

On 10/11/2007, shannon at widomaker.com <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> Indications are that Apple is having trouble with the Mac Pro (at least a
> few
> of them anyway) and the new iMac machines.
>
> However, I thnk it is rare enough that if I get another machine, it will
> be
> trouble free.
>
> For $2500, it better be... :)

 Was it you who mentioned your fans were running loud too? If so then Id say
it was the SMC controller that's kicked the can. I've had very little issues
wit hmine thus far save for some vibration issues (knock on wood). I also
have not heard many negative vibes about them through the usual Apple
channels, whereas the iMacs have raised regular issues with Bootcamp totally
destroying machines (back when it was a v1.1 beta), and now with them just
freezing up at random after high GPU load. The Mac Pro is based off the same
reference hardware Intel use for servers - you'd kinda hope it was pretty
tough. You get a bad one in every batch though - I think maybe you were just
unlucky. I would insist in a new PSU, new mainboard and RAM and RAM risers
at the very least, and hold out for a new Mac if they are wavering that way.

Apple computers aren't the uber-high quality machines they used to be that's
for sure, but the majority of issues surround the ones that use laptop
components, because laptop stuff is made on such a tight budget these days
the quality just sucks, whoever you use. This is another reason they need to
make more orthodox desktop-class machines. But less face it - computers
generally just aren't what they used to be, neither are cars, appliances or
anything else...

--

Mark (from a Mac Pro, gaming in Windows)