[geeks] ExtremeTech article about building a cheap Solaris system

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Nov 2 14:17:30 CDT 2007

With a price limit of $300, and everything being new, here is an interesting article on building a Solaris 10 (server) based on the Intel D201GLY board:

The reason I refer to it as a (server) is the limitations of the video driver currently available for it - anything above 800x600 has too much noise to be useful as a desktop (IMHO). The author was making a cheap webserver box.

It was interesting to read the comments too, many folks couldn't get their brains around theidea that the CPU and cooler are included in the D201GLY MB.

Thought some here might be interested...

I am still looking for a decent mini-ITX chassis for this board, no luck yet (I currently have it in an Antec Minuete 300 case, but I can't figure out how to wire the DVD and HD off the one IDE cable (the Antec case has the HD mounted directly under the DVD drive bay, but rotated 90 degrees (!), but I can't find an IDE cable with at least 12 inches between the two device connectors...

Lionel
Lionel