[geeks] Seagate buckles to math ignorant consumers

John Francini francini at mac.com
Fri Nov 2 13:53:24 CDT 2007

> If Windows/other OS reported the number of 10**9 bytes and not
> 2**30 I contend this issue would never have come up, and that seems
> to be your assertion above ("And becuase it does that, most people
> would beileve..."), but since HD Mfg. don't control how Windows/
> other OS report available storage, I agree they are not at fault here.

Every OS in existence reports its disk usage in multiples of some
block size that is, in and of itself, a power of 2.

> Apparently I am in the minority. I'm OK with that :^)
>
> What's next, CPUs that don't really operate at stated clock rates -
> I bought a 2.4 GHz CPU, but it is really operating at 2.39 GHz?
> (and no, I'm not mudding the waters by using G for Giga, I think we
> all understand what the "G" in GHz stands for, 10**9 hertz)

But while there sometimes is a small differential in reported clock
rate versus advertised, it hasn't been growing the way the disparity
between (10**9)*n sizes and (2**30)*n sizes has been growing.  Every
time disk capacity goes up, the disparity will continue to widen.  It
was ignorable when it was small, but now it's approaching 10% or more.