[geeks] FYI - Dell to start accepting orders for Ubuntu laptop/desktops

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Thu May 24 16:49:02 CDT 2007

On 24 May 2007, at 22:23, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> The starting prices for C2E machines is $120 in favor of windows ($479
> versus $599).  However, when you actually set the two machines to have
> the same configuration (drop the monitor from the E520n, upgrade disk
> and optical drive on the plain E520), the prices shifts to favor linux
> at $409 for the E520n versus $549 for the regular E520.  That is, when
> both have the C2E E4300 CPU, 1 gig of ram, 250 gigs of disk, 48x
> cdrw/DVD combo drive, and no display included.

If you are buying as a business customer I've found the website
prices are pretty irrelevant anyway. I ordered a Precision 390 and an
Optiplex for work this week and just kept dropping pointed comments
about HP stuff being cheaper. I got a ton scraped off the list price :)

> Just recently work got an E520.  It was a basic configuration with
> Intel
> graphics, onboard sound, and no wireless.  Everything just worked
> correctly using a stock Ubuntu 7.04 CD.

I might be wrong, but I think it'd probably work on most low-end Dell
desktops. They consist more or less of the same thing bar differences
in CPU speed, hard disk, RAM etc. The big fly in the ointment is
stuff outside Intel's chipsets, like video cards.

Also, do they support DAMIT powered Dells with Linux yet? I am not
abreast of the models Ubuntu (cue Veronica Belmont 'Ubuntu'
pronunciation! Damn she's cute :o) ) is available on from Dell. I'm
guessing it;s fairly limited thus far? This kinda stinks of the same
kinda 'we're doing this to make us look good' crap as their big AMD
rollout which has thus far not been that 'big'.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>