[geeks] Windows XP 64bit Licensing?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Jun 27 16:21:18 CDT 2007

>From: Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com>
>Date: 2007/06/27 Wed PM 12:59:45 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Windows XP 64bit Licensing?

>On Jun 27, 2007, at 10:12, Michael Dombrowski wrote:
>
>> Due to the lack of Linux support for my graphics card,
>> and my desire to use more than 3gb of ram it seems
>> that Windows XP x64 may be my only option... However,
>> I have been lucky enough to have a (legal) copy of XP
>> that does not have any of the "activation" garbage
>> built-in and I am unwilling to deal with it. Does
>> anyone know what if a copy of XP from Newegg will have
>> the activation stupidity or if there is a way to get
>> XP x64 without it?
>
>Caveat: I'm not sure where I heard this. It could be bullshit.
>
>Is it true that the Dell (for instance) machines accept a Dell
>Windows CD without requiring a key or activation? I've heard that
>it's one key for all Dell Windows installs. They ship you a box with
>a sticker on it that has "your" key, but the installation that is
>shipped on your hard drive doesn't use that key. If you reload the
>operating system with the Dell-provided Windows disks (for your
>hardware), it won't ask for a key, and it'll use the Dell key. AFAIK,
>this even works if you use a different Dell disc - for instance, if
>you machine ships with XP Home, and you obtain a Dell XP Pro disc, I
>believe that it will not ask for a key. WGA-validated, etc.
>
>Of course, you have to be willing to *buy* a Dell... but, if true, it
>probably applies to other OEMs as well.

I have a Dell PC that has an OEN "Restore" CD for WinXP Home (yech) that does not require activation/entry of a "Product Key"...

It is an older, pre-SP1 CD, but I have used it to restore a couple PCs, and it always shows up with an OEM Product Key.

Not sure how common it was, but I think that has changed.

I've not tried it on non-Dell hardware, so I can't answer that question...

Lionel
Lionel