[geeks] Windows XP 64bit Licensing?

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed Jun 27 15:19:37 CDT 2007

> Is arguing with phantoms a hobby?  :)

No, but being overly-thorough is. :)

Original question: "Due to the lack of Linux support for my graphics card,
and my desire to use more than 3gb of ram it seems that Windows XP x64 may
be my only option..."

32-bit Linux is not necessarily "no problem" because it most likely will
not solve his 3GB RAM issue (as that's not an OS issue, but an
architecture one), and while 64-bit Linux will allow him to use all this
RAM assuming his BIOS and chipset can properly map I/O for 64-bit
operating systems it could introduce new issues for him in terms of lack
of driver support or additional hassles in terms of code only available or
working in 32-bit coexisting and cooperating well with 64-bit code because
of the design decision in Linux distros to focus on primarily on a totally
64-bit environment.

Not that Windows is "no problem" either - could there still be a 3GB RAM
limitation in 64-bit Windows?  Yes, it all depends on the
motherboard/BIOS.

My point was he needs to do a lot more research before investing in any
operating system, and I was making the point of illustrating all the
potential issues (there are many) to running any 64-bit OS on an x86
architecture.  I wasn't arguing so much as educating.  If I sounded like I
was arguing, it's probably because I'm rather sick of having to deal with
all this mess professionally and it makes me sad/frustrated to write about
it.

- Nate