[geeks] Windows XP 64bit Licensing?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jun 27 13:34:10 CDT 2007

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:

> Is it true that the Dell (for instance) machines accept a Dell
> Windows CD without requiring a key or activation?

Yes.

> I've heard that it's one key for all Dell Windows installs.

Also yes.

> They ship you a box with a sticker on it that has "your" key, but the
> installation that is shipped on your hard drive doesn't use that key.
> If you reload the operating system with the Dell-provided Windows
> disks (for your hardware), it won't ask for a key, and it'll use the
> Dell key.

Also yes.  It merely checks the vendor field in the SMBIOS tables to
make sure it's a legitimate Dell system, as far as I know.

> AFAIK, this even works if you use a different Dell disc - for
> instance, if you machine ships with XP Home, and you obtain a Dell XP
> Pro disc, I believe that it will not ask for a key. WGA-validated,
> etc.

<censored>

> Of course, you have to be willing to *buy* a Dell... but, if true, it
> probably applies to other OEMs as well.

It applies to certain very large OEMs, but there is a separate OEM
install available through the System Builder program that has all the
restrictions of a retail key (must enter a key and activate) plus all
the restrictions of the OEM keys (can't be used to upgrade, no OS may be
present at installation).

--
Jonathan Patschke ) "When they turn the pages of history, when these
Elgin, TX        (   days have passed long ago, will they read of us