[geeks] Windows XP 64bit Licensing?

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed Jun 27 11:47:53 CDT 2007

> Linux has no problem with >3GB of RAM.

That depends on what you mean by "no problem"... about a year ago, when I
surveyed 64-bit distros they tended to opt for 64-bit native package
builds, which caused quite a hassle when for instance you wanted to use a
32-bit browser plugin like Flash but you had a 64-bit browser installed.
While there were work-arounds for some of those package issues, the deal
breaker for me was 64-bit drivers in Linux a year ago.  Things weren't
good, especially if you were trying to build a MythTV box, and I opted out
at the time because it just wasn't going to be doable.

If you're going 64-bit, whatever OS you choose, inventory all your
hardware and peripherals (both what you own and what you plan to
purchase), and then research the availability of 64-bit drivers for all of
them in the OS you're considering to make sure things will work.

- Nate