[geeks] Windows XP 64bit Licensing?

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed Jun 27 10:38:08 CDT 2007

Around the time it was first released, you could sign up on Microsoft's
website, and get a free "upgrade" from 32bit to 64bit. but some
searching reveals that the deal is long gone:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/upgrade/default.mspx

Personally, 64bit XP is pretty quirky and i didn't like it, it was more
of a downgrade than an upgrade.  64bit Vista is much more cohesive, in
fact, i would say that if you want to run 64bit windows, run Vista.  If
you have 3gb of ram and a nice video card, it should perform
acceptably.  No, i'm not trying to flamebait here, i used 64bit xp for
about a week before i got tired of it.  I've been running 64 bit Vista
on my laptop for work since it was released in November, and it doesn't
have those problems.  Granted, you'll NEED that 3GB of ram if you run Vista.

What graphics card do you have anyway?  Is Solaris an option?  Depending
on your use of the machine, I would personally find it less painful to
replace the graphics card than the OS.

    -Dan Sikorski