[geeks] synchronizing dhcp and bind

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Jun 24 14:51:55 CDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 03:22:47PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> What's the advantage of having dhcpd update DNS rather than just getting
> the IP from DNS?

For fixed addresses none. For dynamicly assigned IPs from pools, a lot.

I've never done it, so I can't be sure you can, but I think you can have
a set of computers assigned address from a pool, but the host name is
fixed. DHCPD then updates dns to match.

Another thing I've never done, but would be useful (and probably can be
done) is to assign the same IP address for multiple MAC addresses. For
example, I have several laptops with WiFi cards and a 100Base-T port
next to my kitchen table.

I'd like to have the same IP address for the same computer whether I
put in the WiFi card or plug in the ethernet.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838