[geeks] Awesome Tiny Computer

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jun 23 11:44:06 CDT 2007

Mark wrote:
> On 23 Jun 2007, at 06:07, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>
>> Apologies if you've seen this already.(tm)
>>
>> http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS6730529835.html
>
> Low Cost Small Computers for the win!
>
> I mean if you can fit a full featured ARM Linux computer in a phone,
> then why not in any other small package?
>
> I'm currently playing with a Genesi EFIKA board. Not quite as tiny
> but it's still a really cool little rig. Makes a great e-mail/surf/
> xdmcp workstation and portable server. I'm currently in the process
> (with assistance from someone who's a bit closer to being an
> engineer) of building up a custom case in a 5.25" external CD chassis.
>
> EFIKA:  http://www.genesippc.com/efika.php
>
> Case:   http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/a15fw.jpg
>
> I'll show y'all it when it's done :)

That looks interesting.

I would like to create a tiny file server out of something like that.

I don't trust a lot of the ones I see, and many don't really provide what I want.

Just a little bitty UNIX box would be fine for me.  I don't really need a fancy
UI or anything.

However, I'll probably just build a small form factor PC of some kind instead.

Little systems' cost can quickly balloon if you aren't careful.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto