[geeks] Bring out yer dead!

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Jun 21 07:41:02 CDT 2007

"Bring out yer dead printers!"
"Here's one."
"I'm not dead!"
"What?"
"I'm not dead!"
"'Ere.  It says it's not dead!"

While confirming formatter board part numbers for our failed LaerJet 4M
Plus, I stumbled across a page that said that on Plus models ONLY, that
error code could also be generated in response to a defective cartridge.
 Well, I pretty distinctly remember that when the printer failed, it was
never even making it into self-test - it would start warming up and die
immediately with a 79 SERVICE (01BF) error.  (I *think* it was 01BF.)
So, just out of constructive paranoia, having stripped everything out of
the printer, I powered it up again a few minutes ago.  And the formatter
board appears to have shuffled back *onto* this moral coil.  It powered
up, self-tested, and said "No toner cartridge."  So I reinstalled the
toner, whereupon it demanded paper.  SO I gave it paper, whereupon it
declared itself ready to print.  So I tested it, and it worked.

So I reinstalled all the accessories, one by one.  And it continued to work.

I don't know whether it's going to *stay* "un-failed".  It could have a
thermal problem, or it could have just needed everything in sight
re-seated.  But if it continues to work, I guess we have two working
laser printers now.

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.