[geeks] software for WRT54G

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jun 20 16:37:50 CDT 2007

Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:11:01 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> Any ideas or recommendations on better firmware for the SG300 that
>> might help? sveasoft seems pretty old (last update in 2004).
>
> I use Tomato myself :-
>
> http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
>
> which has a nice real-time traffic graph, but it doesn't make much
> mention of any VPN support. However the page does link to other WRT54G
> alternative firmware sites ... more than I'd heard of previously.
>
> A quick google indicates that OpenWRT might be what you need as it
> allows OpenVPN to be installed so that the router is the VPN end point.

Well, the problem with that is I really don't want that on the "outside" LAN.

Also, the Snapgear is a hell of a lot faster than the WRT54G.  The Linksys can
barely get out of its own way.

I have a V3 WRT54G which supposedly has the Linux based firmware instead of the
proprietary stuff in V5 and higher hardware, if that matters.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto