[geeks] SATA RAID

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 00:47:41 CDT 2007

Phil Brutsche wrote:
> Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>> I have this SCSI RAID "box" that talks over one F/W SCSI channel up to
>> the host, and to three channels full of disk.
>>
>> I'd like to switch to SATA for reasons of speed, cost, power and noise.
>>   Does anyone know of a similar "box" that talks over a SATA channel to
>> the host and something like four SATA drives?
>
> One that does RAID? Not that I have heard of.
>
> They do make SCSI-attached units that take SATA drives:
> http://www.pc-pitstop.com/das/x5raid.asp
> http://www.pc-pitstop.com/das/x8raid.asp

Unfortunately, if I was going to use a PCI (or PCIe) card, I could just
go with a SATA RAID board.  I'm trying to do this while using the
onboard nVidia SATA.  I've used a gaggle of different SATA boards (I
think one was Silicon Image 3114-based and the other might have been a
Promise of some kind, and I'm pretty sure the last was a CMD), and the
on-chipset interface seems to outperform the rest by some margin.

I guess I'm just going to end up using a PCIe 1x RAID board.

Peace...  Sridhar