[geeks] monitoring traffic on my switched LAN

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jun 12 14:14:02 CDT 2007

Jeff Cole wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 12:44:36PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> Well, the router is a Snapgear unit, embedded.  It has very limited capture
>> ability because it has little internal storage.
>>
>> The switch supports RMON and SNMP, but I have no idea how to gather traffic
>> data from a source like that.
>
> MRTG? Makes pretty graphs from snmp queries. http://www.mrtg.org

OK, got it.  Not really what I want, but useful.

I'd like something that gave me text reports and parsable data, but I can work
on that later.

The graphics probably do 99% of what I want anyway.

> Also, information on collecting SNMP info from SnapGear units is at
> http://www.cyberguard.info/snapgear/cgi-bin/fom?_highlightWords=mrtg&file=240

Anyone know where I could get a good configuration for a 3Com superstack 3300?

mrtg configuration is a bitch, at least it is to me.

--
shannon           | An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto