[geeks] Windows drive->drive backup

Eric Railine erailine at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 10:24:00 CDT 2007

On 6/11/07, Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> Right, I forgot about VSS.  I understand even it does not allow *all*
> open files to be backed up though.  (iirc, registry hives for example.)

I believe the only issue is whether the application is VSS-aware so
that its files are put in a consistent state prior to the snapshot,
vs. just grabbing the files as-is.

Good description here:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/2b0d2457-b7d8-42c3-b6c9-59c145b7765f1033.mspx?mfr=true

Bacula, which you had mentioned, can use VSS for open files:
http://www.bacula.org/dev-manual/Windows_Version_Bacula.html#SECTION004260000000000000000

And, in reference to Charles' question on Windows Backup/NTBackup -
no, you should not need to be logged in for the backup job to run,
though you will need to provide the user credentials for the job to
run as when creating the schedule.

-Eric