[geeks] page widths within PDFs

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 8 14:32:53 CDT 2007

>From: "Kevin R. Marshall" <kevin at mpcf.com>
>Date: 2007/06/08 Fri AM 09:56:58 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] page widths within PDFs

>I mean the later, a PDF file with multiple pages, with each page
>being a different width.
>
>In this case, were not concerned with what a printed copy
>would look like, only how it is presented on screen.
>
>My boss wants to create a brochure style PDF, where the first
>page is narrow (looks like the cover of a folded brochure) and
>the next page is wide (looks like a brochure that has been
>unfolded).  It looks asinine if you ask me and no one here has
>been able to accomplish it using only Word and Acrobat Standard.
>
>Not even remotely within my field of expertise, but when they
>can't figure something out they have a tendency to ask me, no
>matter how irrelevant it is to what i actually do.
>
>I told them to quite bothering me with it and either hire
>document layout personnel or outsource it.

Not sure if you got my earlier response (may have been sent off-list, not sure, sent from my PDA), but the easiest way to accomplish this is to make each section a seperate document, then use Acrobat to join the various pieces into one document...

You can also trim pages in Acrobat (I've used it quite successfully to trim off the crappy border the office scanner put around a printed page)...

I would be suprised to learn that page size isn't one of the parameters you can change in each seperate section of a Word document, then "printing" that document via a PDF writer should yield the desired result...

Anyway, I know you passed on the project at work, just thought I'd share the above with the list.

Lionel