[geeks] monitoring traffic on my switched LAN

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jun 6 16:16:05 CDT 2007

I need to do traffic monitoring on my LAN.

However, I use a 3Com SS 3300XM switch these days.

On my old switch, I used the MDI port to sniff all LAN traffic using a
hub, but this switch doesn't have one.

It can do port mirroring, but only one port at a time.  It doesn't have
an MDI connector, rather it uses a high-density connector to talk to
other units in its "stack" family.

It is supposed to support RMON and SNMP, but so far I've found no way to
sniff traffic using either.

Anyone know a trick I might try to get what I want?

--
shannon           | I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time,