[geeks] ATA vs. SCSI

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 13:27:18 CDT 2007

On 5 Jun 2007, at 17:03, Dr. Robert Pasken wrote:

> You mean like trying to add a 250gb SATA to a Sun Ultra-20. You'd
> think
> that just plugging in like I did with the fiber channel drive on my
> Blade 2000 would make it work. I'm still trying to determine why the
> system doesn't make it past the POST.

I can't be held responsible for Sun distributing machines with jankey
firmware/BIOS that only likes certain drives ;)

Based on my (admittedly non-Sun) experience, I've used SATA on Apple,
Dell and self-built Asus-based hardware (both AMD/VIA and Intel
chipsets) and on all occasions with all drives it's worked flawlessly.

If it were my U20 I'd probably establish what manufacturer of drives
Sun uses and use those. They are most likely Seagates or WDs.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>