[geeks] Microsoft Surface...

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Tue Jun 5 09:18:18 CDT 2007

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> That's the difference between Microsoft and Apple. Faced in 1993-1994
> with a tough decision on what to do with legacy software, Apple included
> an automatic 68020 emulator in the PPC version of MacOS. It worked so
> well that the emulated software ran faster on a 66mHz PPC chip
> than a 40mHz 68040.

That may have been the benchmarked claim, but from the user perspective,
those first few PPC machines were just absolute dogs.  (Then again, Macs
have always felt sluggish to me compared with the PCs they were
competing against at the time, with the possible exception of the Plus
and the original Mac II.  The gripping hand is, I suspect half the
problem was classic MacOS's unspeakably wretched memory management.)

--
 It's not the years, it's the mileage.
 Phil Stracchino              phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220                Mobile: 603-320-5438