[geeks] Microsoft Surface...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 5 06:50:16 CDT 2007

>From: Dr Robert Pasken <rpasken at eas.slu.edu>
>Date: 2007/06/05 Tue AM 12:10:19 CDT
>To: Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org>
>Cc: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Microsoft Surface...

<snip>

> What is it with cable select, master, slave, cable with a
>twist, none of which are consistent even with the same manufactuer. Just
>bought a 300gb 15rpm Fiber channel drive on ebay for $150, plug it into
>the backplane and it works. Try that with a SATA drive

I've not had a problem with IDE drives, and to be honest, when I realized that retail drives *nearly always* come jumpered for cable select (since that is how Dell, Gateway, and HP configure their systems), I've not been confused as well.

Cable select cables also are typically marked with "Master" and "Slave".

The one I hate is floppy drives, half the PCs I put together with floppy drives (very few these days) have the floppy spinning on first power-up because I got the cable upside down - easy to fix, but annoying...

Lionel