[geeks] Microsoft Surface...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jun 4 23:25:38 CDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 10:53:11PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Well, that was well after the launch of the IBM PC, and you were talking about
> how they dropped non-Intel support after that.
>
> I just don't think they had much non-Intel support, ever.

Sorry to break your bubble, but Microsoft has been, and still is the largest
developer of Macintosh products. Without Microsoft, the Mac would never
have taken off.

Windows/NT was first developed for a different platform than the PC, it's
been discussed here before (was it MIPS?). There was also NT for MIPS,
SPARC and Alpha, but no one bought it and it disappeared quickly.

> In fact, I thought that several of the Microsoft BASICs were actually done by
> third parties.

A friend of mine wrote (yes, they were one person projects)  a BASIC and a
Fortran compiler for the Macintosh under contract for ABSOFT. One was
sold by ABSOFT, one by Microsoft and had the name "Microsoft xxxx for the
Macintosh" (I don't remeber which). They were developed on an SE/30, so this
puts them in the late 1980's, early 1990's timeframe.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838