[geeks] Microsoft Surface...

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 13:49:09 CDT 2007

On 3 Jun 2007, at 21:20, William Kirkland wrote:

> Microsoft tends to acquire a company with a particular piece of
> technology they find interesting. Apple tends to invent and design.

The latter is a sweeping statement that doesn't hold true in a lot of
cases. Look at Thses major Apple products of recent years:

Mac OS X - based off of NEXTSTEP, which was developed by NeXT and
bought up by Apple in 1997.

Shake - One of the industry's most popular post-production
applications, as used by LucasFilms among others. - this was
developed by Nothing Real, and bought up by Apple in 2002

Logic Pro & Logic Express - A defacto industry standard music
production suite. This contiionues to be developed ny Emagic, but
marketed and sold exclusively by Apple, who own Emagic after buying
them out in 2002.

iTunes - Possibly Apple's most ubiquitous and widespread application,
perhaps apart from Quicktime. iTunes was directly taken from a great
MP3 player for Mac OS called 'SoundJam' (I have  a copy of it as a
historical monument). SoundJam was developed and marketed by Casady &
Greene, who Apple bought out in 2000.

Final Cut - Final Cut was born out of the abandoned 'KeyGrip' project
at Macromedia. Apple bought it in in 1998 in an incomplete state and
finalized it as a product.

Also as a few people have already intimated, the interface technology
that is used to do the multi-touch screen on the iPhone was bought in.

That just goes to show Apple do acquire major pieces of technology in
software, and occasionally hardware. Sure all these proiducts have
had significant added features and inward development since
acquisition, but so have Microsoft's - Vista is, after all, an onward
development of Windows NT - which Microsoft bought in in the early 90s.

>  Sun also has a much better tendency to invent rather than acquire
> technology.

If anything Sun are way better at it than Apple even. They tend to
forge alliances to innovate and (unlike Apple and IBM) produce
significant and exciting results (well, they are if you're a
geek ;) ). I'm sure even they have acquired technology though. The
fact is everyone operates on the 'if we can't invent it we'll buy it'
policy - the difference between one company and the next is how much
they are willing to try and innovate before they give up and acquire.

> While I do not know off hand who first developed an optical mouse,
> the first ones I saw were out long before Microsoft thought of an
> optical mouse.

Yes, and they sucked because you needed a special mouse mat. Sun's
was a classic example. Microsoft's were one of the first 'any
surface' optical mice IIRC. As soon as I saw an optical USB mouse on
sale that worked anywhere I bought one. I was sick of cleaning the
roller ball on conventional mice!

> Oh, what about SCSI ... that was such a nice decision to go with
> IDE ... today, we are still limited to two disk drives on each bus.

I just got 2 new PCs at work an neither have PATA. It's dead. Forget
about it. SATA2 and SAS has blown it away. SATA is still not SCSI
(but SAS is, but enough confusing the issue!) but it's reduced
interrupt levels and cabling hassle to more than acceptable levels.

> Microsoft chose IDE because Apple was suggesting SCSI. The only
> reason that IDE is cheap, compared to SCSI, is the quantity of sales.
> *IF* Microsoft would have shifted when they saw their decision to be
> less than optimal, we could have 256 devices on one SCSI bus,
> including the use of multiple computers on that same bus.

I can get you're point, but at the same time SCS is harder to
configure, it has gremlins that give even seasoned SCSI veterans like
myself a headache. If you think educating people in how to set 1
Master/Slave jumper is hard, try explaining setting up SCSI buses and
using Binary ID codes to them. That's ASKING for them to glaze over :o).

>> Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us     Life - Sexually transmitted,
>> always fatal
>
> I like your signature.

I like that too :)