[geeks] WANTED: ADT software for Apple IIgs on 3.5" floppy

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jun 4 07:30:41 CDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 01:31:01AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I put disk image on the Mac, but there seems to be no way to write the image
> to the disk.
>
> 800K Apple II drives work fine on a Mac.
>
> If I put a blank disk in the drive, there is no option for format it for ProDOS.
>
> If I run DiskDup+, it cannot recognize any of the disk images i have put on
> the Mac, which I want to write to the 800K floppies.
>
> Do I need some kind of special software or what?
>
> In particular, is there any Mac software that will write a disk image to a
> floppy, and not care about the @#$%@#$% resource fork?
>
> The files are perfectly valid prodos disk images, but the Mac insists they are
> just text files.
>
> I used reskit to create a resource fork and make them data, but the programs
> like DiskDup+ still don't like them.
>
> DiskCopy is also supposed to be able to save and write Apple II 3.5" images,
> but I can't make that work either.

There is a web page that still exists that describes the whole thing.

	http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/Csa2DSKETTE.html#006

Here is an important part of it:

	From: Simon Williams

     There was a thread discussing the impossibility of creating bootable ProDOS
	disks from a Mac with a 'force-feed' floppy drive. Seems it ain't necessarily so.

     Using Bernie ][ the Rescue on a G3 iMac with a cheap USB floppy, I first
	create a Diskcopy 4.2 800KB image, which I copy to a 1.44 MB diskette with
	the finder.

     Then I transfer the disk image to a PowerPC 6100/66 which has the non-
	auto-inject disk drive (running System 7.5)... copy the image to the HD. Format
	an 800KB ProDOS disk with the finder and then use DiskDup+ to copy the
	image to the floppy... (See Q&A 007 on the File Utils FAQs page.)

     So far it's worked perfectly. I've made both GS/OS 5 & 6 and ProDOS
	startup disks this way... :)  The one oddity is that GS-formatted disks take a
	long time to write, whereas the ones formatted under MacOS seem to write
	much quicker...

     DiskDup+ is the key. I wondered myself why I hadn't tried Diskcopy... so
	I tried it -- without success.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838