[geeks] Google Images Facial Recognition!

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Sat Jun 2 23:58:59 CDT 2007

On 03/06/2007, at 05:50, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Think a moment: how effective is any kind of technique if over 90%
> of the time
> you apply it to the wrong target?
> It has nothing to do with being treated "special", it has to be
> with effective
> use of limited resources.
> Spending them on the 1% probability and ignoring the 99%
> probability is not a
> winning game.

This is the key to El-Al's previously mentioned success.  Their
entire process is based on profiling, plain and simple.  They have
young men and women who are trained in psychological profiling and
who circulate among the crowd of passengers *talking* to people.
Based on their observations passengers are shunted to either the high-
security or the go-right-through lanes.

This would never work in the US.  It's too rational, and does not
treat everyone with the same level of suspicion.

It should be noted that the profiling is NOT racial.  I've seen Arabs
passed right through and been picked for thorough inspection myself,
including completely unpacking my suitcases before ever getting to
the ticketing counter.

---sambo