[geeks] Google Images Facial Recognition!

Joost van de Griek jvdg at sparcpark.net
Sat Jun 2 07:56:28 CDT 2007

On 6/2/07 2:48 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> The effort to implement this in real-time (the only way this is even remotely
> interesting) is mind-boggling complex. It would require an infinite number of
> cameras, an inventory of all the "interesting" faces, and a large enough data
> processing complex to filter all the interesting faces out of the feeds from
> that infinite number of cameras...

Matter of time. In the UK, there is now one "security" camera per fifteen
citizens, if I'm remembering the numbers correctly. That's some scary
statistic.

> Google can't "watch" you cat in the window, it can show that your cat *was* in
> the window at one point in time. Google didn't "enter" the house and locate
> the cat, Google just saw what *anyone* on the street could have seen with
> their naked eyes...

Consider the old German Democratic Republic ("East Germany"). They had an
incredibly vast system of keeping track of just about every little last
detail of just about every citizen.

Now, what I always found fascinating about that, isn't merely the fact that
they invaded their subjects' lives in such a manner; I do believe that this
would be every government's wet dream. No, what makes this feat so
astounding, is that they managed to do it with 1950's technology.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
You can drink 'em pretty,