[geeks] Second Life is not a game?

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Tue Jul 31 07:17:23 CDT 2007

Jon Gilbert wrote:
> Actually you can have multiple accounts in SL, called "alts." Most
> people have one main account, and several alt accounts for when they
> want to get work done without being constantly harangued by customers
> and friends, etc. Griefers use alts to avoid getting their main
> accounts banned. Etc.

Is that new?  When I poked around with it, there were no alts.  (At
least, that's what I *understood*.  I may have *mis*understood.)

> The interface is actually really cool once you get used to it.
> Unfortunately, SL does have a high learning curve to master, and
> requires a very fast computer with an excellent 3D card in order to
> run smoothly. Unless you have the latest and greatest hardware, it's
> likely to run too choppy and laggy to really be easy to move around
> accurately most of the time. Also, to actually learn how to script
> and build in SL is by no means easy.

I'm not on the bleeding edge, but my Windows box is pretty close.  I
still find the interface very awkward.  But YMMV.

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.