[geeks] Sun to adopt newest Intel Xeon chips for upcoming servers (link)

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jan 24 10:12:25 CST 2007

Wed, 24 Jan 2007 @ 09:30 -0500, Sridhar Ayengar said:

> Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> > Probably not. ATI is a top notch hardware developer, but they lack
> > expertise in low power chips and comptency in sofware production.
> > If AMD can help them lower power requirments of their chips,
> > and assist them in getting their software production into gear,
> > everyone wins.
>
> Indeed.  AMD's expertise in process can only help ATI.
>
> > The big difference between ATI and NVidia currently is that NVidia has
> > good support for other environments than Windows. Good documentation,
> > top notch Linux driver development and they assist open source
> > development effort.
>
> I don't think Nvidia's support of OSS efforts have been up to snuff,
> personally.

They've been doing more than almost any other company.

I would also like to see it better, but it is hard to complain when they
are the one in a million that actually bothers.

> > ATI's support of Linux is weak at best, many people would say sucks.
> > Their documentation is poor, they try to avoid releasing as much data
> > as possible.
>
> Hopefully, AMD can "liberate" them from this habit.  AMD has a proven
> track record of supporting wide ranging OSS projects with documentation,
> tools and monies.

That's what I'm hoping will happen.

But I've watched this industry long enough that I'm wary.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The strength of the Constitution lies
entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it.  Only if every