[geeks] Race Tracks

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Apr 22 16:08:36 CDT 2007

Sun, 22 Apr 2007 @ 13:36 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > At the same time, I do know a couple of times riders have hit doors, and
> > it realy wasn't the drivers fault.  When traffic is stopped, it is quite
> > common around here because of the large numbers of tunnels and bridges,
> > and because of heat, for drivers to check their vehicles when stopped.
> >
> > This causes a lot of lane splitter accidents.
> >
> > I think we should have one lane per vehicle, period. I think implied
> > double lanes should be marked, or signed. Most of them are left blank
> > and you have to memorize the rules.
>
> To be fair, it should also be pointed out that getting out of your
> vehicle and wandering around in traffic, just because the traffic
> happens to be stopped at that moment, is *also* illegal (not to mention
> unsafe).  If you want to inspect your vehicle, get it over onto the
> shoulder and out of traffic.

Actually, around here it is illegal to use the shoulder for that, so if
you need to inspect your vehicle, you do it when stopped.

I think it is an issue of wanting a lot of bridges, combined with how
easy it is to save money by not having inspection areas for the public
to use.

It's also illegal for the public to use the bridge or tunnel's
maintenance lots, or the truck stops.

Go figure.

--
shannon           | I wish life was not so short. Languages take such a time,