[geeks] Debian 4.0 Bittorrent for DVD

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Thu Apr 12 03:31:45 CDT 2007

On 12/04/2007, at 08:19, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> total aggregate upload rate to be 23k bytes per second
> Except Tuesdays I want it down
> 400k bytes per second
> run 20 days from start to finish.

I know it's Java, and therefore only to be used in private and not
spoken about, but I'm going to be bold and ask why not Azureus?
There is a speed scheduler plugin that allows exactly what you want.
It can also be run headless from the command line or a web interface
or remotely for those who desire such things.

I have Azureus up- and downloading at unlimited speed from midnight
to 7am, and restrict my upload to 50kBps from 7 to midnight so my
VoIP lines work (I'm on a 1.5Mbps/512kbps cable link).  Once in a
while I'll hit a torrent that saturates my upload and voice quality
suffers, so I manually limit it to 150kBps up.

A few data points... I generally have hundreds of torrents running
concurrently (seeding on private trackers) and my 50kBps throttled
upload is saturated all the time.  When I'm on a public torrent I
limit upload speed on that torrent to 4 or 5kbps.  I can download a
350MB TV show in 30-40 minutes, and I leave it running on public
trackers until a ratio of 1:1, or 5:1 on private trackers (where
ratio counts), which can take a week or more.

You really ought to look at optimizing your bittorrent use, you can
do much better than you describe. First and foremost, change your
port to something outrageously pseudorandom like 54342 and make sure
it's forwarded properly from the router.  Enable encryption.  There
are LOT of settings in Azureus that you can tweak, including tricks
you can play with queueing and priority that allow you to leave
torrents open for seeding without actually consuming bandwidth.

---sambo