[geeks] X memory usage in 7.x, some software improves with time

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Sep 21 13:14:25 CDT 2006

I just upgrade to X11R7 two days ago.

Normally X would hit 270MB to start, and grow from there, particularly
when running games, photo editing, and OpenGL acceleration on the
desktop.

7.x is quite different.

My startup hit is about 30MB, and after 24 hours I'm just under 80MB.
In that period I played a couple of OpenGL games, did some photo
editing, and I'm running KDE with XRender enabled.

X seems to not allocate near as much upon startup as it did previously,
and it appears to be calling unmap() more aggressively to reduce
long-term memory footprint.

I'd be interested in knowing if similar improvements can be had by
moving to X11R7 on non-PC hardware.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Work for something because it is good, not
just because it stands a chance to succeed." -- Vaclav Havel]