[geeks] ftp upload renaming

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Sep 15 14:45:38 CDT 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:25:12 -0400
Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:

> I have a client who wants users to be able to stage new documents to a
> UNIX server that processes documents.
[...]
> The user's will not have direct access to this machine: they can only
> upload files to it.
[...]
Use a printer server, either the old BSD lpr or cups or whatever,
instead FTP. The users simply "print" the documents. The printer server
can queue and spool them. Some kind of "printer filter script" then does
the processing instead of actually printing them.

I have seen a setup like this on geek meetings as music box. There was
a public BSD lpr server that acted like a network printer. You simply
directed your local lpr to it and used it as remote printer. But the
files you "printed" where MP3 files. The print server did all the
queueing and scheduling and finaly handed the MP3s to mpg123.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen