[geeks] ADSL Modem

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 12:30:39 CST 2006

On 10/30/06, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Sun, 29 Oct 2006 @ 00:05 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:
>
> > Got a perfectly good U2 with dual 400s and 2G of RAM.  Haven't decided
> > what to use it for yet since I rescued it.  (I started playing with
> > Solaris 10 on it once trying to figure out whether I could install Sol10
> > without Gnome.  I didn't find a way to rip Gnome out and still have X
> > work at all.)
>
> I had the same issue. I tried several variations on installing the OS,
> and I always ended up with Gnome for some reason, even when I tried to
> install nothing but X and its libraries. It also took forever with that
> Q#$%@#!$% Java installer.
>
> Maybe someone will write a better installer now that Sun has released
> the sources for Solaris.  In fact, do the alternative Open Solaris
> releases have their own installers?

Have you just tried installing the Reduced Network Cluster as a
minimal system?  It would really suck if that has Gnome in it.

Also, you can skip the java installer, if you invoke your cd boot with:

Gui started but run installer in a terminal window:
boot cdrom - text

100% console session:
boot cdrom - nowin

=Nadine=