[geeks] bridging networks with wireless

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 17 16:48:35 CDT 2006

Mon, 16 Oct 2006 @ 16:10 -0400, Nadine said:

> On 10/16/06, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> > I want to move to eliminating a server or PC as a wireless router.
> [...]
> > One of the Sun machines is my primary gateway, so it could handle
> > routing without much problem.
>
> I have a Linksys Wireless bridge that also has a 5-port switch.  It's
> an earlier version of the current WET54G.  You could simply plug a
> second interface of the Sun into it, since it's already your gateway,
> and set up the routing tables.  It's a bit pricey (~$80 now), but I've
> had no issues, and mine includes traffic shaping functionality.

OK.

I wanted to hear from someone actually using one, because most
company product information sucks, and the sales droids are
clueless.

I've looked at that one but wasn't sure from the info pages that it
would do what I wanted without also doing more than I wanted it to do.

I also read the other poster's suggestion about the gaming adapters.

Got something to think about now.

I can't wait to get rid of the stupid wireless card in my PC.

Do all wireless cards universally suck or what?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We are all of us in the gutter, some of us
looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde]