[geeks] Perle Terminal Server - what's the magic incantaion for Break?

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Thu Oct 12 21:48:15 CDT 2006

velociraptor wrote:
> On 10/10/06, brian.dunbar at liftport.com <brian.dunbar at liftport.com> wrote:
>> Ctrl - Break causes the console to reset and displays the console login
>> prompt.  It doesn't drop me to the OK prompt.
>>
>> I'm wondering if the old administrator monkeyed around with the term
>> server so it would NOT throw a break?
>
> Post the LOM suggestion, if it's still not working...
>
> You should also check the system will even accept a break.  Turning
> that off (temporarily), or alternately, setting the "alternate" break
> sequence (see the SunHelp FAQ) is a good way to protect servers from
> going to "OK" if you need to do maintenance on your terminal server
> and you're not sure it's break safe.  The previous sys admin may have
> done this and not documented it.

I found out that the old senior admin had disabled at the terminal
server the ctrl/break ability to drop to the OK promptfrom a concern
that some poor sap would issue ctrl break on a production box.

LOM is a good idea but like many of those we lack the management support
to find the time for that.  We've been in fire-fighting mode for going
on three years now.  It's getting old, and has a great deal to do with
why the 'old' senior admins and team lead are long gone and much happier.

Didn't mean to kvetch, but the expedient solution is to jack a laptop
into the server you want to bring down.  Which requires you to trek to
the data center which in the winter time means a slog though snow and
slush ... bah.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Remember.
But move forward, too. Light a candle, yes. But also drive a rivet.
~Lileks