[geeks] Sun Ultra 1 Operating System

Jeremy Grosser synack at csh.rit.edu
Wed Nov 29 11:37:18 CST 2006

> I'm still stuck on v3.9 of OpenBSD as I found out the cdrom
> drive died a few weeks back when I went to install 4.0 after my CD's
> turned up :(

I recently needed to update a few OpenBSD boxes to 4.0 from some
fairly old versions (3.5, 3.6) and found that booting the ramdisks
works extremely well. Just download the bsd.rd image for the version
you want to update to, put it somewhere on your boot partition and
reboot. At the second stage bootloader (the "boot> " prompt) type
"boot hda1:/bsd40.rd" or something along those lines. When the system
boots, select the upgrade option and just follow along.

Keep in mind that you'll need to merge changes in /etc manually by
following the instructions here: http://www.openbsd.org/faq/
upgrade40.html

I was able to upgrade a system from 3.5 to 4.0 incrementally with
very few problems. Any smaller issues you might run into (network
drivers changing) should be noted in the FAQ.
--
Jeremy Grosser
synack at csh.rit.edu
www.neohippie.net