[geeks] Sun Ultra 1 Operating System

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Nov 28 13:50:46 CST 2006

Does anyone here run a Sun Ultra 1?

What operating systems run well on it?

I assume Solaris 9 will, but I had trouble with NetBSD crashing on it.

Anyone run NetBSD 2.x or 3.x on one?

I'm considering putting one into service as a gateway machine since it
is fairly quiet (as Sun's go).

It's a U1 I paid $10 for with 640MB of RAM, labeled "Ultra 1 Creator".

I would normally toss it, but it is quieter than my old SS5 which
currently does gateway duty.

It seems to pass all diagnostics.

Is there a decent way to test the unit without a hard drive?  Maybe a
boot CD image that will do a long-running test?

I don't want to spend money on a hard drive just for testing.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I want this Perl software checked for
viruses.  Use Norton Antivirus." -- Charlie Kirkpatrick]