[geeks] KVM dilemma...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 27 13:28:35 CST 2006

>From: Mike Hebel <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com>
>Date: 2006/11/27 Mon AM 06:12:58 CST
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: [geeks] KVM dilemma...

>I'm finally starting to get systems set up at home in my office and I
>would like to use a KVM but I only have a PS/2 one.  The problem?
>
>1 - U10
>1 - G3 8600 "Frankenmac"
>1 - Blue & White G3
>1 - O2
>1 - AMD PC
>1 - G3 "Pismo" PowerBook
>
>Switching the monitor is obviously easy between all those systems as long
>as it supports the proper sync/refresh/etc.
>
>Keyboards and mice however are a bit more problematic...
>
>Suggestions?  I'd like to NOT have to get a $500 KVM but I'm not holding
>my breath. :-/

I like KVMs, and am starting to feel that good ones are worth the money.
Having said that, I too would be reluctant to spend $500 on a KVM.

The systems you list break down into a few groups, with the obvious problems
with keyboard types. IOGear has some nice PC/Mac/Sun (USB) KVMs (4 port, $180
list price [0]), but the older "Franken" Mac will cause problems requiring
adapters to turn USB into ADB for the Mac and the Sun U10 will need (most
likely) a series of USB to PS/2, PS/2 to Sun (whatever) connector. In the end,
it may be cheaper to look on eBay for a high-end KVM and secure specific
adapters as required. I think the "Franken" mac will be a problem (as it is
not usually installed on a KVM, I suspect).

Lionel

[0]
http://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GCS1734&name=MiniView%20Extr
eme%20Multimedia%20KVMP%20Switch%20w/Cables