[geeks] Zune DoS attack?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Nov 20 16:01:03 CST 2006

Mon, 20 Nov 2006 @ 18:04 +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 10:50:17AM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > That brings up a question: can you replace the firmware in the Zune with
> > your own?
> >
> > That's one of the neat things about iPod.
>
> I don't know, but in my blog a few months back I discussed the posibility
> of recycling used iPods into other things.

iPod's have been running Linux for awhile now, and there are third party
replacements for the mp3 player software.

> I wonder if Apple could be persuaded into releasing hardware hacking
> information for the first generation iPods. Most of them are probably
> dead, and it makes no sense to polute the world with them.
>
> As long as they were not used for enterainment, Apple might be willing.
>
> If you could replace the screen, add a keyboard, they might even make
> decent $100 laptops for a lot less money.

You'd have to put your interfaces on the dock connection mostly likely.
I don't know what all it can handle.

One guy has his iPod running Linux and I believe he was logging into it
with a terminal. No idea how he managed it.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [There is a limit to how stupid people really
are -- just as there's a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.